Header Ad

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Newsletter queue not sending in Magento

You can create a cron job to run repeatedly… or manually run them by entering this
http://www.youdomain.com/admin/newsletter_queue/sending
I noticed that when I entered the above, the number of recipients dropped by only about 20 at a time… that’s when I found the second link above. In summary, the system is programmed to send only 20 newsletters at a time! You can change that by changing a line in app/code/core/Mage/Adminhtml/controllers/Newsletter/QueueController.php
$countOfSubscritions = 20;
Replace the number 20; with any number you wish. . . and ‘yes’ the code has Subscriptions misspelled throughout - with the ‘p’ missing. I just left it misspelled and increased the number to 200.
Clearly this is not optimal and the newsletter module has some problems with it. For my first newsletter I took the steps listed above. For my second, I decided this took too much time and ended up using a 3rd party program. I’ve used ConstantContact in the past but used CampaignMonitor this time. There is a free extension to link Magento to CampaignMonitor in MagentoConnect. It worked well for me and CampaignMonitor was EXTREMELY easy to use - very clean and concise.
FYI… after I used the CampaignMonitor extension, I had to uninstall it. It seemed to be effecting my ability to save customer profiles on the frontend or backend. Now that I have all of my newsletter subscribers uploaded to CampaignMonitor, I plan on just using their code in my Magento site to allow new subscribers to sign-up and have their subscription stored on CampaignMonitor.
Perhaps someone else might have an easier solution. This was just my solution after hours and hours of frustration with Magento’s newsletter module. You can use Magento for a small list of subscribers. But I’m not sure it is the best option for larger numbers. It is definitely a module that needs some work!

No comments: